Monday, June 18, 2012

Big Changes

Seems like there are many changes taking place for our family this summer.

We're on the church search. I have previously blogged a little about some conflict with the church we had been attending. And I really don't want to dwell on that anymore. It's time to find the place we are supposed to serve and worship for the next ten years at least. I don't want to be making another change in a year or two. This is getting old already.

I have a new job lined up for the fall, teaching middle school choir at ONE SCHOOL (Hallelujah!!) for a different school district. I haven't blogged about that at all for obvious reasons. I would hate to say something online that costs me a job opportunity. Knowing me and my big mouth (fingers?), it's likely for me to say (type) something I shouldn't. Getting a job at one school has been a dream of mine for three years. I get to start and end the day in the same place. I get to have all my teaching materials in one place. I get to apply my philosophy exclusively in a choir program that I will not share with another teacher. Let's see if I really know my stuff or what...

Big girl is growing up. She'll be starting the 4th grade in the fall, and that's the year when they start talking about body changes. So in order to beat anyone else to it, she and I have been reading "The Care and Keeping of You," an American Girl book about maturation. She'll be 10 in October, and there are already some changes taking place. She's so much more emotional about EVERYTHING than she has ever been. Her hormones are starting to make her in to a crazy person. I had always heard that would happen. I was hoping my sweet girl would somehow be spared this awful transformation. But she does want to be a mother some day, so I suppose this is required in order for that to happen.

Now that the girls are both getting a little more grown up, we've introduced them to some of our humor. Hubby had the girls watch UHF and I showed them The Princess Bride. Now when Hubby and I start quoting those movies, the whole family is in on it. Dinner has been more fun since they've seen the "Wheel of Fish" and "Raul's Wild Kingdom." We were at the pediatrician's office recently (Little Girl had bronchitis), and the girls were in the little room yelling, "You so stupid!" and making each other laugh. I had to make them stop because other mommies and kids were within earshot and obviously that's not appropriate for a toddler to say. It wouldn't be appropriate for my kids to say in any context other than what it was, quoting the movie. They weren't actually calling each other stupid.

Little girl had bronchitis after we sent her with her grandparents to Disney World with a cough. The trip had been planned for months. We weren't going to not let her go because of a cough. We actually stopped at Walgreen's on the way to the airport to pick up cough medicine (we had given her the last of what we had at home) and some kid's acetaminophen. Then the day they came back, I picked everyone up at the airport, took my parents to their house, and then took Little girl to the doctor on the way home. Poor kid. She's fine now, not even coughing anymore.

Hubby and I have changed. From October to April I lost about 25 lbs. I've had to buy new everything since nothing I had fit except socks and shoes. Hubby is closing in on 40 lbs and he's having to shop too. It's really great. I like the new me better than the old me. I will keep using Lose It! possibly forever. It's working and I don't see a reason to stop. It makes me think about what I eat and make better choices.

So those are the big things... Maybe I'll blog a few more times before school starts and I fall off again. I'm really the worst blogger ever.

No comments: