Monday, August 25, 2008

Whoa...

OK, this is the ULTIMATE song-in-my-head moment. I must share...

I was just now laying in bed, in the dark, trying to fall asleep, and the songs I heard on my iPod as I worked on the table this evening were rolling around in my head, everything from Weird Al to 2nd Chapter of Acts, and back to The Beatles, Ben Folds Five, and on and on.

My brain drifted to "Dizzy Miss Lizzie," which is the last song on the Help! CD. (My dad tells me that it wasn't on the LP back in the day, but whatever, it's on the CD, and that's what I have.) In the middle of going over that song in my head, my brain jumped to "In The Mood," the 1940's big band standard. And it took me a minute to figure out why, but then it hit me. Both of those songs have the EXACT same chord progression through the verse. You could actually sing "Dizzy Miss Lizzie" over "In The Mood," and it would work. The rhythms in the "riffs" are not quite the same (not that "In The Mood" really has a riff), but the chords are dead on. The recording of "In The Mood" is a little fast, but it works. I tried it just now. After a little while it's just hard to keep the other song going, but hey, it's a wild experiment!

And with that, I have to calm back down and try to go to sleep. I'm still going to do that trial run, and whether I like it or not (NOT!!!), the alarm is going off at 6:30.

No comments: