Friday, February 20, 2009

Dentist Update

I didn't get a chance to update my blog last night... I'm running around like a crazy lady (so what else is new, right?).

I didn't end up having any dental work done yesterday. Based on my pain symptoms I described, and the fact that there isn't any corresponding decay that the dentist could see, she referred me to an endontist. I have a "pulp horn" which means the pulp in my tooth, where the nerve is, goes up higher than it's supposed to in the front half of the hurting tooth. The back part of the hurting tooth is broken, and I was afraid that what I'm feeling is a cavity that had taken hold in the vulnerable area that is not sealed up because of the break. (The break doesn't hurt, and it hasn't hurt since it happened. I found the broken tooth with my tongue.)

The dentist thinks that this tooth has been traumatized by chewing. My jaw sits crooked in my head, with the left side higher than the right. It makes sense that it would get a rougher impact with every bite and chewing motion I take. This has nothing to do with the broken part at all.

So I still have a toothache.

At least she prescribed me some Xanex to take before I have to go to the endontist and then back to her for the crown. I won't have to freak out so much. She also gave me some pain meds to take in the interim until I can get the root canal done, and some antibiotic in case it's an infection causing me the pain.

This is no fun.

As if that weren't enough, this morning I was walking home from taking Big Girl to school, and I ran a little, and pulled a muscle in my thigh. At first I thought it was a cramp, but it still hurts hours later, but only when I try to do anything requiring that muscle to work. I can't lift my leg without a sharp pain, unless I do the lifting with my arms or my other leg.

I get to take my gimpy, toothachy self to a ladies' reatreat tonight.

I have Maroon 5's, Songs About Jane in my head today. That's what I listened to while I was in the dentist's chair for an hour yesterday. I was there a whole hour, and she only poked around my mouth for less than 2 minutes, and did another x-ray. A whole stinking hour.

No comments: