Saturday, July 5, 2008

Which Way the Wind Blows

This morning I found myself laying in bed, mentally and emotionally bracing myself for the week ahead. My husband is leaving tomorrow for a week long business trip. Daddy will be gone all week. The girls will do fine. It's me I'm worried about.

Usually, if Daddy's gone, and Mommy's going crazy, we'd head over to my parents' house and hang out with Nanna and Poppa. They live about 20 minutes away, and have lots of room to play. But they're gone too. They won't be back from their Alaskan cruise until next Sunday (8 days from now). My top two levels of kid support are going to be gone.

Plus I just miss my husband when he's away for so long. When we were dating we went to two colleges that were about an hour and a half away from each other. We'd cry on Sunday saying good-bye and look forward to Friday all week long when we'd get to see each other again. When he travels like this, it brings all that back to me too. I really like him and want him around. I want to make jokes with him and laugh. I want to lay in the dark stroking his back (which he loves- he practically purrs like a kitten!). I want him to pick on me and try to tickle me while I squirm and try to get away. I just want him around. He's my favorite. I know I'll miss him.

And as these thoughts were making their way through my brain, the soundtrack was on a 2nd Chapter of Acts song which really fit, "Which Way the Wind Blows." The chorus says, "You don't know which way the wind blows, so how can you plan tomorrow?"** And then toward the end it changes to, "Jesus knows which way the wind blows, so give Him your tomorrow."

So Jesus, I give You next week. Whatever I've got planned, I'll trust You more than my plan. I'll trust You to bring my husband back home safely to us. I'll trust You to provide for our every need.

** I grew up listening to this song, and always thought that those words were spoken by Jesus in one of the gospels. A lengthy search on the internet showed that not to be the case. Then I searched Proverbs. Again, no luck. But I did find this Messianic verse in Proverbs 30:

4 Who has gone up to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands?
Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and the name of his son?
Tell me if you know!

I had never noticed that one before. It goes right along with the message of that song, and also what I need to be thinking about going into next week.

1 comment:

Shelly C said...

Karen, you know we're around all week and if you and the girls want to swim with us one day just let me know. See you tomorrow.